At the end of summer, we should pay closer attention to our surroundings and adjust our driving accordingly for the return of school children, school buses, and parent traffic, especially around school zones.
American Car Center wants to help keep our children safe this school year. Here are some key tips for drivers, parents, and kids for improved safety.
Safety tips for drivers
- Slow down and watch out for kids and be prepared to stop – especially in or near school and residential areas, intersections, and crosswalks.
- Look for clues such as “Slow Down, Children At Play” signs, school zone signs, safety patrollers, bicycles, and playgrounds.
- Expect the unexpected – such as kids darting out from between parked cars.
- Always check for pedestrians when you are backing up and be aware that kids could be present on any side of the vehicle.
- Let kids out on the side of the car closest to the sidewalk when dropping them off at school.
- Follow the rules of the road – yield to pedestrians and do not make U-turns, roll through stop signs, or stop in no-stopping zones.
- Do not pass school buses when their red lights are flashing as children are loading and unloading. Use extra caution in adverse weather conditions.
Safety tips for parents and kids
- Teach your kids to find a safe place to cross the road, such as patrolled or marked crosswalks.
- Teach them to look all directions and make eye contact with drivers before they cross the street.
- Make it a rule for kids to stay off their cell phones or electronic devices while crossing the street.
- Plan a safe route – walk on the sidewalk and consider having your child walk with a friend or parent or join a walking school bus.
- Teach your kids to look out for parked cars as cars may pull out or start moving when they do not expect it.
- Make sure your kids wear bright or reflective clothing so they can be seen in the dark or in poor weather. If they ride a bike, make sure they always wear a helmet and clothing with reflective strips. Equip their bike with lights, reflectors, and a bell.
Taking a few simple steps will better protect school children as they return to the classroom. American Car Center extends best wishes to all kids and their parents for a happy and successful school year.
American Car Center wants to save you time and money on your next lease. Visit one of our modern and conveniently located stores now for a massive selection of reliable late model and low mileage vehicles. Each vehicle comes with a great limited warranty with oil changes included.
The King of Credit Wants to Approve You Today!