American Car Center knows that you have things to do and places to be which can often mean bringing along bulky belongings. Roof rack systems are designed to safely haul oversized sporting gear, camping equipment, or other cargo safely, allowing you to enjoy an active lifestyle with less fuss and more fun. Rack manufacturers and sellers have web-based or in-store selection tools that make it simple to find the system best for your vehicle and activities. Let’s better understand your vehicle’s roof type and the parts of a base rack system.
Vehicle roof types
- A bare roof has no built-in attachment points. A clip-fitted rack snug to the vehicle’s door jams is a reliable solution for a bare roof.
- A raised-rail roof has rails that run parallel to the doors with space between the rail and the roof itself.
- A flush-rail roof has rails that run parallel to the doors with no space in between it and the roof body.
- A fixed-point roof has four (hidden) attachment points allowing for quick and easy installation of base towers. Some vehicles with a raised- or flush-rail roofs vehicles also come with these built-in mounting points.
- A track roof is one with long metal channels or slots that run parallel to the doors.
A base rack system has only a few key parts
The tower (foot) of the roof rack carries the weight on for cargo and are placed at the roof’s strongest points.
The vehicle-specific mount or fitting kit – clips that attach the towers to the roof and rubber bottom pads that rest between the roof and tower – fasten the towers to your vehicle.
The crossbars are the usually two bars that run across the width of the roof, to which activity-specific
Accessories, such as cargo carriers, can be attached. Crossbars support the weight of all the gear you’re adding to the roof and transfer the weight to the towers.
Again, rack system manufacturers and retailers make it easy for you to find one best suited to your vehicle. Better yet, most today systems are fully complete and assembled; they are ready to be mounted right out of the box on the roof rails with all installation tools provided.
Simple Steps to Installing a Fully Assembled Rack
The commonly purchased fully assembled rack is easily mounted to a vehicle’s rails:
- Place both tower/crossbar combinations loosely on the roof rails;
- Adjust their placement so that they are centered on the roof for best weight distribution and ease of access;
- Tighten and secure the four mounting points using the knob and any provided locking mechanism;
- Check your work, making certain the connection points are solid.
Watch the American Car Center video guide, Easily Install Your Roof Rack, for an easy how-to guide to mounting a pre-assembled base rack.
A roof rack is a must for taking your lifestyle essentials with you as you explore our beautiful parks, trails, rivers or streams or your cherished possessions to new beginnings. American Car Center has more than 50 incredible locations with an amazing inventory of SUVs, cars, and trucks – each with a limited warranty of up to 3 years or 36,000 miles, oil changes included – to match your summertime adventures. Don’t delay, The King of Credit Wants to Approve You Today!
Easy Related Posts
Keeping your car interior clean and organized
Easily Keep Your Vehicle’s Interior Looking Great Following a few simple steps, you can almost effortlessly ...read more